Internet Safety Tips for Kids and Teens
November 03, 2016
Technology has progressed so fast that life and technology are now intertwined. Kids are now introduced to technology as early as a year old or maybe even younger. Soon they will come to know about social media websites and it is the duty of their parents to teach them about privacy, security, and what information to show on the internet.
Here are safety tips you need to teach your children when using the internet:
- Never post personal information on social media websites like a cellular number, home address, and home number.
- When meeting a random person online, teach your kids to never meet up with them without any guardian accompanying them.
- Teach them what pictures to post and what pictures not to posts. Some children are not aware that what they are posting is inappropriate.
- Never share your passwords, not even with your best friend.
- Teach them not to download and install just any software on the internet. Let them ask permission first from you before they can download or install. Better yet, provide them a non-administrator account so that they can’t just install anything on the computer.
- Instruct them about the privacy settings on each social media site and guide them what to share and what not to share.
- Enable your search engine’s safety filter as to make sure that they don’t get adult-oriented or phishing websites in their search results.